New South Wales
click on image to get a full screen version
The township of Hay is on the Murrumbidgee River about halfway between Sydney and Adelaide (about 700 km to each city), and 400 km north of Melbourne.
Hay's origins was as a river crossing for stock. Initially called Langs Crossing Place after the Lang brothers who owned the land.
Hay was gazetted as a town in 1859 and named after the NSW politician Sir John Hay (1816-1892).
Sir John was a local pastoralist, and member for state seat of Murrumbidgee from 1856-59. In 1867 he was appointed to the NSW upper house (the Legislative Council) - which in those days was a life appointment.
The Sturt and Cobb Highways cross at Hay, and the Mid Western Highway finishes its journey from Bathurst.
A visit to Hay would not be complete without spending time at Shear Outback.
Shear Outback contains the Australian Shearers’ Hall of Fame, the historic Murray Downs Woolshed and a wealth of displays and artifacts of shearing in Australia.
Billy Garner (pictured) is a gun shearer and demonstrates his prowess most days. The "going price" for shearing a sheep is $2.20 - $4 for a ram.
Cobb & Co. had a coach factory in Hay from 1877 until 1896. These weren't the coaches seen in American westerns that carried six people. Coaches built in Hay carried more than twice that number and several carried up to 17 people.
Hay is on the Long Paddock - a stock route that stretched 600km from Moama on the Murray to Wilcannia on the Darling.
Built in 1862, the One Tree Hotel is 37km north of Hay on the Long Paddock (Cobb Highway), and is the "hell" in Banjo Paterson's poem Hay and Hell and Booligal.
Booligal is 43km further north, and is on the Lachlan.
The images of Deane's Wattle and the Little Corellas were taken on the Hay Nature Walk.
Hay was the home of the Anglican Bishop of the Riverina from 1881 until 1953.
Bishop's Lodge was built in 1888-9 and was designed by the renowned architect John Sulman. The Sir John Sulman Medal for architecture and the Sulman Prize for "genre painting and/or mural project" is named in his honour.
The 24 room building has iron exterior walls and zinc-coated tin plate interior walls. It is insulated with sawdust. The timber used is termite resistant cyprus pine.
The verandahs are 2.7 metres wide and the ceilings are 14 feet high.